Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jennifer Hudson on Weight Watchers-Personal Reflections


Like millions of viewers out there, I was ecstatic when it was announced that Jennifer Hudson would be appearing on the Oprah Winfrey show today.  I wanted so badly to leave all other obligations and watch the show, but I had to wait it out and watch the PVR'd  version when I got home.  

When I finally arrived home, finished preparing dinner, feeding my daughter and tidying up, I plopped myself up on the sofa, switched on the PVR and became absorbed in my Jennifer moment.  

As I was getting lost in the moment; becoming even more pumped when Jennifer landed on stage, my moment had ended quite abruptly when Oprah had asked how much weight she had lost while following the Weight Watchers program.  For those of you who captured the moment, I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt a little awkwardness when Jennifer glanced over at her leader to seek approval on whether or not to answer the question or not.  What was even more awkward and quite embarrassing, at the same time, was when Oprah realized what was going on and called Liz, Jennifer's leader, on what the big deal was in sharing how much weight she had lost.  To be quite frank, I was immediately turned off, when Liz started going on about how Weight Watchers is not about the numbers and is all about how you feel and yada, yada, yada.  I thought Liz's statement was rather ironic when Weight Watchers is all about numbers.  Was this woman for real???  For God's sake, every time you attend a WW group meeting, you're expected to hop on the scale each and every time you attend a session to see how well you're progressing with weight loss.  I mean that really is a large part of the program, following the principles set in place, and in turn tracking your success by weighing in. 

I don't know if the secrecy around Jennifer revealing her weight was a whole marketing thing, but I'm so glad that Oprah pushed and ended up getting Jennifer to reveal just how much weight she had lost while following Weight Watchers.  It seemed that Jennifer would have been quite comfortable revealing the numbers to begin with, but the whole dynamic between her and her leader, Liz, were rather strange and didn't do a whole lot for advancing the image of WW in my opinion.  So as my girlfriend would say, that was a big FAIL on their part.  

Despite the slip up with WW on the Oprah Winfrey show, there are a handful of us who still believe in the program and would advocate for it 110%.  So, when J. Hudd says it works, she really does mean what she says- it really does work.



No comments:

Post a Comment